Sunday 5 May 2013

Williamson Racing Team Two For Two At Lernerville

By Dave Sully - Make that two in a row for the Williamson Racing team at Lernerville Speedway in Sarver, PA on Friday, May 3rd. Using information gleaned from last week, Mat used a late race pass of veteran Jim Weller to win the Big Block Modified Feature, after taking the opening week win when Brian Schwartzlander came up 25 pounds light at the scales.

Mat didn’t need anybody’s help this week, as he started scratch in his heat and improved to third, placing him tenth on the grid for the feature. From there he picked his way forward, putting himself in position for the final push.

Mat explained, “We weren’t exceptional in the heat but we were pretty good. I think we were the fastest car in the heat, but we started too far back, so they kind of checked out on me in the heat. They were gone.”

“We didn’t make a lot of changes between the heat and the feature. We started tenth, got into a jingle early, bounced back and ended up catching the guy with two to go and passed him with two to go, so it was a good night. The track had a little more bite than last week. I don’t know if the Late Models laid down rubber, but it was pretty good. There were some bitey spots. The car was on a rail.”

I’ve got to thank Pat at Bilstein Shocks. He and my dad worked all week on the shocks and I think we’ve got it figured out now. The only sad part of it is we only had one set of them. We were planning on putting them on for Merrittville, but when we got into that wreck we bent the shock.”

We ran the Big Block, and I think Weller was running an open small block (as Schwartzlander did the previous week).I still think the Big Block is the way to go here. It’s kind of hit and miss. If we run last (in the order of events) I don’t know if I’m going to bring my small block or not. It’s still very much up in the air. We’ll learn more as the season goes on. Two weeks from now, our division runs first, so I think the Big Block will be the way to go. The week after, well have to think about running the Small Block. I’m not sure.”

There’s no question that the locals at Lernerville realize that Mat is a force to be reckoned with. Whether that changes their approach remains top be seen, but Mat plans to race them the way they race him, noting, “I’m racing them with respect and trying to earn my keep. Hopefully we’ll race them like that all year.”

Mat concluded, “I’d like to thank my crew and everybody for getting us here. They did a helluva job.”

No comments:

Post a Comment