Sunday 28 April 2013

Williamson Racing Team Notches Top Five Finish in Merrittville Opener


By Dave Sully - With great weather, a large crowd and a slew of cars, the Williamson Racing Team started off the local 2013 season with a fifth place finish in the 35 lap Modified Feature. After finishing second to Erik Rudolph in the third heat, Mat lined up sixth for the feature in his brand new car. After dropping back as far as ninth, Mat was able to stick with the program, dodged the trouble spots and ultimately finished in fifth, losing fourth to Larry Lampman on a late restart. Chad Brachmann made a last second pass of Pete Bicknell to win the race. All in all, it was a good night for the team.
 
Mat explained, “We’re getting it. I think we need minor changes to make the car a little better. Brachmann was definitely good tonight. He passed me in the middle. I was able to get under him a couple of times, but I think track position was a lot tonight. If you could run the top early, you could gain some positions, but you had to be on the bottom late. Todd Gordon got by me early, and it looked like he was going to win the race. He just stayed on the top too long and the bottom came in. The top went away.”
 
“It was good racing because it was side by side. I think we just missed the boat a little bit and hopefully, we’ll get it next week. We’ve just got to make some minor changes and we’ll be up there. It just gets discouraging not winning. It gets in your head, but it is what it is.”
 
I don’t know if a tire didn’t come in, but it took me a while to get going. I think once the track slowed down we got better. It was certainly tight ion the middle. We’ve got to get rid of that. I think we’re going to change two front shocks. That should help.”
 
Though it wasn’t a win, there is plenty to build on. After one race the team is in the thick of what should be a close point battle, with several teams in the mix to finish on top. Time will tell. 

No comments:

Post a Comment