Sunday 3 June 2012

Meet The Crew - Ted Renshaw

As a former racer and member of the Merrittville Alumni Wall of Fame, Ted Renshaw brings over a generation of racing experience to the table. Ted, who will be 73 years old this September, draws from a wealth of experience, which started at a very early age.

He explained, “I started in racing when I was fifteen, pitting for Jerry Winger. We won the championship here at Merrittville two times. They started a jalopy division here and we built one. I raced that and in other divisions until about eight years ago, ending up in Modifieds and Vintage cars.  I won the jalopy championship here in 1961 and the Sportsman Championship at Humberstone in 1964. Then I went to the asphalt and raced there most of the time.”

In those years, he raced Late Models as well as Modifieds and experienced success at all levels, racing against other legends like Richie Evans, Merv Treichler, Dutch Hoag, Chuckie Boos, Billy Rafter, and Bill Wimble, whom he raced against at Syracuse. He also raced the Modified at Charlotte and Dover Downs, with drivers like NASCAR Hall of Famer Richie Evans and Jerry Cook. At Charlotte, he raced against future NASCAR stars Harry Gant, Darrell Waltrip, and Lenny Pond. Hary Gant won the race. “We finished eleventh. We were happy,” Ted recalled.

Of his competition, he declared, “Dutch Hoag was the best driver I ever raced against, smooth as silk, but Richie Evans could get a car into more problems and get it out than any driver I’ve ever seen in my life. He was absolutely unbelievable.”

Though he had a successful and satisfying career, capped off by being named to the Merrittville Wall of Fame, Ted, who resides in Ridgeway, didn’t walk away from the sport. He noted, “When I retired, Dipper and I got talking about starting up a team. Matty was only fourteen years old, and he had just come out of go karts. Dipper wanted to build a Sportsman for him. He asked me if I’d be interested, and this is the eighth year I’ve been with Matty.” Having someone with Ted’s background, who is ready and willing to share his expertise, has been invaluable.

He continued, “I still have a Vintage car and I’m building another ’37 Ford coupe to race on occasion. I’ve raced the Vintage car at Lancaster and Holland, but I don’t do it much any more. I have more fun with Matty. The best part is seeing him win. That’s why they brought me in. I was kind of his teacher. Now they don’t need me for that. I just enjoy doing what I’m doing.”

While the team members do whatever task is at hand, including Mat, who works as hard on the car as anybody, Ted’s main duties are to take care of the rear end gears and the fuel, among other things.” He added, laughing, “Now that I’m ten years older than  anybody else, they ease up on me a little.”
Ted admits that racing is an addiction, one that he thoroughly enjoys. “We’ve got a great bunch of guys. Everybody gets along. In seven years we’ve never had a major issue on this team. It’s just a good bunch of guys.”

Of Mat’s progress he declared, “I think the world of Matty. He’s a good kid, and he’s got talent too. With Matty this year, I’ve noticed more than anything that he takes a good hand in saying what gear he wants and what tires he wants. He’s really blossomed out this year. There’s more feedback for the guys. He’s really come a long way. He’s making decisions himself, rather than asking, which is super.”

At the tender age of 72, Ted Renshaw is still as enthusiastic about the sport as when he drove and treasures the opportunity to be a member of the Williamson Racing Team.

No comments:

Post a Comment