Sunday 17 June 2012

Crash on Friday Marks Forgettable Weekend


By Dave Sully - (Ransomville, NY) Friday, June 8th, marked the low point of the early season for the Williamson Racing Team as the No. 6 didn’t finish the race after being involved in a chain reaction wreck at Ransomville Speedway.  Following a caution, the car of Ron Cartwright, an infrequent visitor to the big R, entered the track on the backstretch and then stopped on the racing surface with the field bearing down on him. Danny Johnson couldn’t avoid him and made heavy contact, while Mat had nowhere to go either. He piled in, with several other cars being collected as well, resulting in a 26th place finish.
 
He explained the night, noting, “We were pretty good. We made the wrong tire choice. We were good early though. We got to about tenth and then it was just a racing deal. Danny clipped a lap car that pulled over and didn’t get off the race track enough. He couldn’t proceed and I ran into the back of him when he was stopped. It was unfortunate for me and Danny. I didn’t even hit the brakes. I saw him sitting there and it was too late to get away from it. I kind of tried to grab the brakes, but it was too late and I hit him. I didn’t want to hurt his rear end or my rear end, so I hit him as square as I could. It was a hard hit.”
 
Regarding damage to the car, he explained, “We lost a shock tower, front bumper, rear bumper, a lot of body damage, bumper brackets in the back, and that was about it. We had it fixed by Wednesday night.”
 
About the hit in the points, Mat added, “It’s still early. When you can go from third or second to fifth or sixth, that shows how close it is here. You can gain it just as fast.”
 
As for Saturday night, rain put a damper on the proceedings, forcing cancellation of the Merrittville program, giving the team time to regroup.  

No comments:

Post a Comment