Wednesday 21 May 2014

Meet the Crew- Adam Williams

Adam Williams, a resident of Grimsby, who will be twenty-six on June 1st, is no stranger to racing, having watched his uncle, Rick Book race for over 20 years and participating himself since the age of sixteen. He noted, “When I turned sixteen, I got my license, got a truck, got a trailer, and I've been racing four cylinder cars ever since then.

His crew experience began before he met Mat. He explained, “I started helping my buddy BJ Willard and then got introduced to Matty and then BJ kind of stopped racing. I just came over and started helping Matty every chance I could. Since I got hooked up with Matty about three years ago I haven't raced my car, but I've been helping Matty make his way to the front. I'll still race every once in a while, but I've mostly put it aside to help Matty go after championships and make sure his career is going the right way.”

As for his occupation, Adam is a pipeline inspector for Sun Canadian Pipeline. His work zone is from Sarnia to North Toronto, which keeps him in the area most of the time, which allows him to work with the race team. His job entails managing a high pressure petroleum pipeline in the ground and making sure that when anyone is working in the area of the line, he and his colleagues mark the area so that they don't hit the line. He also responds to accidents and makes sure that an accurate account of the occurrence is forthcoming.

He added that he spends as much time racing as time allows. As he put it, “That's for making money. This is for having fun. Sometimes you have to have fun too.”

Not all of the crew is able to travel, but Adam will try to go on the road a soften as possible. He observed, “I've already booked my holidays for North Carolina (for the Dirt.car event at Charlotte) and Super Dirt Week. Any time I get a free minute, I'll be hooked on with the trailer and head on wherever it's going.”
Adam has no special duties on the team. He does whatever needs to be done, from washing the car, scaling the car, grinding tires, or seeping the floor. He is just happy to contribute any way he can. He laughed, “I do whatever nobody else wants to do, getting dirty, all the fun stuff.”

As for his own racing future, he concluded, “Right now I've had my fill of it. I'm just having a fun time helping Matty.” With that outlook and his willingness to to do anything to help the team succeed, Adam Williams is the kind of guy every race team would love to have and the Williamson Racing Team is the beneficiary of his dedication.

No comments:

Post a Comment