Sunday 2 June 2013

Third Win in Four Starts Keeps Team on Top at Lernerville

By DAVE SULLY - Sarver, PA- Following a rainout the previous week, the team went back to Lernerville loaded for bear on Friday, May 31st and made the most of it, chalking up its third win in four starts and increasing their point lead. Starting fourth in the heat, Mat clawed his way to second with two of the top runners, Dave Murdick and Brian Schwartzlander starting on the front row. Starting fourth on the grid for the feature, Mat was able to battle his way past Murdick, who started inside Mat in the second row. Mat got into the lead and wound up battling Murdick the rest of the way.

Mat explained, “Schwartzlander switched cars and started tail, while Murdick started inside of me. We went out and had a great race going. Murdick was certainly faster than I was on the outside. We just benefited from a couple of restarts and took the lane away from him. Since we started fourth, we were on the outside. I got out front about three laps into it. Then I plugged around the bottom, and I think I got somewhat of a lead going and then the caution came out with about ten to go. Murdick started outside and actually got by me with ten to go. I was running the bottom and he was on the top. I actually got by him on another restart, with about six laps to go. Through three and four I took the outside lane.”

“It was a great race. It’s still mind-blowing how great the racing was last night. Murdick was really fast. Those guys keep me on my toes. We thought about taking the Small Block, but the Big Block was definitely the way to go. I’m glad we stuck with it, and it’s been running really good.”

Any win is a good one, but when it comes after a tight race against some fast cars, it’s even more satisfying. When you’re also on top in the points, it’s even better. The challenge is to avoid complacency and keep the hammer down. With close to a five hour drive to Lernerville, you can be sure they’ll be prepared every time they make the trip.

Next up is the Big Block Series race at Rolling Wheels on Wednesday, June 5th, where Mat will see how he stacks up against the best of the best, including his unofficial teammate, the red hot Matt Sheppard.

Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment