Sunday 22 July 2012

Meet the Team- Ronnie Sumbler

Thirty-three year old Ronnie Sumbler, who lives in Ridgeway, is a five-year member of the Williamson Racing Team. His day job is with Scott’s Marine Interiors in Sherkston, a company that specializes in customized work on the inside of ships, with whom he has been employed for eleven years.

Ronnie explained, “We work on Navy boats, Coast Guard boats, Lakers that go through the canal, all sorts of fun things. We do everything on the inside of the vessel, from the bottom right up to the top. You either start from scratch or tear out old stuff and renew it, like new floors, new ceilings, or new walls.” He finds it very interesting and rewarding work.

He always enjoyed watching racing, but his perspective changed when he joined the team. He noted, “It looks easy when you’re sitting in the stands, but then you come over on this side (the pits), and you realize how much work goes into a car.”

His arrival on the team had an interesting twist. He observed, “Dipper was dating my girl friend’s mother at the time, and I just started hanging out, started working on cars with the guys, and I’m still here.”

As for his role on the team, Ronnie is like most of the others. “I try to help whoever needs assistance. If I get the chance, and I’m not working, I’ll go over and help Dipper change motors or anything else that is needed. Sometimes on Saturday mornings, when we’re racing Ransomville, I’ll come over and help Dipper wash the car and get it ready for Merrittville. Sometimes, during the week, I’ll go over and help him, if I get a chance. I don’t mind working on anything. Whatever needs to be done, I’ll do.”

Ronnie’s never gotten behind the wheel, as a number of the other team members have. He declared, “Maybe someday I’d like to try it, but it doesn’t look easy.”

He continued, “It’s my hobby. I really enjoy doing it. It sucks when you can’t do it when work gets in the way, but you’ve got to pay the bills. It’s a real good group of guys. Mat’s really matured over the years, as a driver and a person, a grownup. It’s fun.”

As for a high point in his career with the team, he admitted that he missed Mat’s first modified win, but he did see him win at Merrittville. He added, “Syracuse is fun. Every week is something to look forward to. I enjoy every Saturday.”

Speaking of Syracuse, Ronnie had a memorable experience there a few years back. He explained, “The first year I went, T-Mac (Terry MacNeil) and I were the ones involved in the big fire. We were working on filling up the quick-fill can. He pulled the funnel out of the carry can, and she went up. I was holding the funnel. He ran into the trailer to get a fire extinguisher and when he came out it was humongous. Finally, Dipper and a few others came over with extinguishers. I think the fire crew finally got there. It was pretty scary.” I guess you could call that a real “Baptism by Fire.”

As you can tell, Ronnie Sumbler is enjoying his experience as a member of the Williamson Racing Team and is another reason why the No. 6 is a force to be reckoned with each time it goes out on the track.

No comments:

Post a Comment